Greg Devitt, RGD, Principal
After a number of years of cutting his teeth in the world of design at the feet of talented art directors Greg struck out on his own and in the process brought together two of his loves: graphic design and books.
The rest is history. For the past decade Greg has been applying his art and conception skills to the insides and outsides of books. Along the way there has always been time for other mediums, yet publishing remains his passion.
Greg now works from his home office, thirty minutes east of Toronto, Ontario. He shares his home (and all of his pens) with his wonderful wife and two children.
I am an R.G.D. Ontario accredited graphic designer with over fifteen years experience providing visual design solutions within corporate and educational publishing environments. I have extensive experience managing large, multi-faceted design projects from concept to final production. I am also an established post-secondary design educator having developed skills in planning, instruction, assessment, and management.
Graphic Design Experience
2006–present Greg Devitt Design
Specialize in corporate marketing design and navigational design solutions for educational and trade publishing. Encourage long-term client relationships through excellence in design and production, accessibility, and cooperation. Clients include McGraw-Hill Ryerson, Nelson Education, University of Toronto Press, Multi-Health Systems, and Jupiter Industries.
1999–2006 McGraw-Hill Ryerson
Graphic Designer and Typesetter
Worked closely with Sponsors, Marketing, and Sales to provide design solutions for book covers and interiors ranging from trade books to all levels of education. Provided typesetting services to higher education and school division. Supported Production Coordinators regarding all aspects of design and print production.
1996–1999 IBM Canada
Graphic Designer/Project Coordinator
Worked closely with clients to produce marketing materials, internal communications, and static and multimedia speaker-support presentations. Coordinated departmental workflow.
2007–present Durham College of Applied Arts and Technology
Develop teaching material and instruct students in the operation of design-related software (InDesign CS6, Illustrator CS6, Photoshop CS6), design practices and principles, and career planning for the School of Media, Art and Design. Experience instructing within various programs, including:
- Electronic Publishing 1 (Public Relations)
- Introduction to Macintosh (Pre-Media)
- Desktop Publishing and Photoshop (Music Business Management)
- Careers in Communication Arts (Pre-Media)
- Digital Art, Illustration, and Design 1 (Contemporary Web/Multimedia)
- Digital Illustration and Design 2 (Graphic Design)
Computer Experience and Technical Skills
- Adobe Creative Suite 6 (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, Flash, Dreamweaver), QuarkXPress
- Digital photography and image correction
- HTML, CSS, Content and Learning Management Systems (WebCT, Desire2Learn, WordPress)
- Web hosting and site management
- Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Entourage)
- Mac OS, FTP, E-mail, IM, Videoconferencing, HTML E-mail, Social Media
- R.G.D. at Work Featured Graphic Designer, Nov. 26 – Dec. 9, 2012, RGD Ontario
- Theresa Courneyea Outstanding Service Award, 2001, McGraw-Hill Ryerson
- Numerous Outstanding Performance Awards, McGraw-Hill Ryerson
2012– Thompson Rivers University, Bachelor of Design (in progress)
1993–1996 Seneca College of Applied Arts and Technology, Design Arts with High Honours